Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Leonard Cohen/Grace/Art


I'm becoming more and more convinced that art is an important way for me to find harmony and balance when things get crazy. To help me feel less lost even though I don't know where I am.

Leonard Cohen has helped a lot recently. His artistry gives substance to the ineffable. The previous blog entry has a link to an interview where he talks about grace.

LC: well im bothered when i get up in the morning. my real concern is to discover whether or not if im in a state of grace, and if i make that investigation and discover that im not in a state of grace i try to go to bed.

Host: what do you mean by a state of grace? that's a phrase i never understood.

LC: a state of grace is that kind of balance with which you ride the chaos that you find around you. its not a matter of resolving the chaos as there is something arrogant and war-like about putting the world in order but having that kind of an escape ski, down over a hill, just going through the contours

Host: you have lost me

Here's the link to the video clip

So I write this as an encouragement for me and, perhaps, for you,  to invest more in the production and appreciation of art.

I'm not sure what I'll try to produce. I've written songs in the past. Maybe painting or poetry. This blog rarely approaches artistic expression but I think pushing myself to write on a regular basis will help me become better at expressing myself effectively. 

 In terms of appreciation I've found that memorizing poems and song lyrics can be a great avenue for deeper understanding and engagement.  I think I will commit to learning one Shakespeare sonnet and one Leonard Cohen song during the next week.  I will also explore going to the art museum at Cornell.

One thing I've written lately that I like is a prayer I included in the “psychodoodle” blog a month or so ago.

 Here's what I wrote...

Deep power in which we exist
May your guiding light
Help us grow joyfully in unfolding grace;
Live with an open heart;
Dwell in wise silence;
and
finally
once again,
Find
Our eternal home.

Works for me.

It's exciting opening up a door and not knowing what's on the other side.  I hope it's not a pit bull.

Beware. Ferd, the artist, is rising.

1 comment: